-

Monday, April 6, 2015

Happy 89th birthday Gil Kane!

Gil Kane (April 6, 1926 – January 31, 2000), is the legendary creator who was instrumental in bringing about the Silver Age of comics with his art work on the new Green Lantern (in DC Showcase #22, Sep. 1959) and the Atom (in DC Showcase #34, Sep 1961).

Self portrait of Gil Kane with his Atom colored by yours truly. 
Gil Kane is beloved by his fans for his unique style of art that utilizes strong forms in beautiful compositions. His layouts are usually as breathtaking as his finished work.




In the late 50's Kane was the artist that redesigned Green Lantern  (in DC Showcase #22, Sep. 1959) and the Atom (in DC Showcase #34, Sep 1961) and stayed on to draw Green Lantern for 75 issues.


Gil Kane was also the creator of one of the very first graphic novels, His Name is Savage, which came out on June 1968.


In the 70's Kane did some of the most memorable covers of the 70's.


Kane penciled some of the most famous Spidy stories of the 70's as well, like The Night Gwen Stacy Died from Amazing Spider-Man #121, June 1973 in which Spider-Man finds himself helpless to save his girlfriend Gwen Stacy. 
And Amazing Spider-Man #96, May 1971, the drug issue which went on sale without a
Comics Code seal of approval because it included depictions of drug use. Stan Lee felt that it was so important to show drug use in a bad light that he went ahead and published it without the Comics Code approval to discourage the rampant drug use of the early 70's. As a result the Comics Code Authority altered the code.


One of my favorite Gil Kane works is the Sword of the Atom mini series and annuals that came out in the mid 80's. Kane's work was never more dynamic than it was in his mature phase with it's slashing, angular panels.


Gill Kane has been a unique voice and major talent in the comics industry playing a key roll in it's growth and gave us an amazing amount of incredible art. And he will be sorely missed.

Gil Kane lost layouts

Gil Kane - the Interview as criticism.

His Name is Savage 


1 comment:

  1. My wish right now is that God should continue to bless Dr Emu for his good works towards the life of those people who are heart broken. My name is Michael DeBruin and I am from the USA, it's been a while since my lover's attitude changed from being the caring type she has been to me, but later turned out not to be caring at all. But not long, I later discovered that my lover was having an affair with someone else. and also she told me she doesn't need me after all we pass through then a friend told me about a spell caster. that with the spell I will get back my woman, I took his cell number then called him and also what's-app him which he reply to me and I did some sacrifices to the spell man and he bought the items for me which he used for the sacrifices and later called me that before 48 hours my love will come back to me and now we are more in love with each other than ever. you can reach him on WhatsApp +2347012841542 or reach him via mail ; emutemple@gmail.com , my lover returned back and broke up with the other guy she was having a relationship with... Thank you Dr Emu.

    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete