-

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tomar and Asaf Hanuka's Joker In DC's Bizarro World!

Tomar and Asaf Hanuka's Joker from their Bizarro World submission.

I had no idea who Tomar and Asaf Hanuka were until one day while cruising the net I saw a picture that was so unique and well executed that it floored me. The picture was of a great 70's retro Ziggy Stardust meets 2001 illustration of space men blinged up for some kind of space disco, all done in these purples, turquoise and ochers, all muted tertiary colors that I find so exciting.


I immediately fell in love with them. I later discovered that this was the work of Tomar Hanuka, one of a pair of Israeli illustrators who were founding members of the Meathaus anthology.
They got a wonderfully detailed yet fantastic style augmented with a wonderful pallet.


Later I got DC's Bizarro World that was filled with super stars of the alternative comics world, people like Tony Millionaire, Jamie Hernandez, Paul Pope and Farel Dalrymple. One of the most exciting of the bunch was Tomar and Asaf Hanuka's Batman story.
It's a fun little story and slightly unusual for a superhero story in that there isn't much action because the story takes place in the mind scape of Batman and a girl.
Read the story and let me know what you think.


If you like their work, you can see
And Asaf has a web comic
 

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog. Keep up the good work! I've been meaning to pick up Bizarro World and now I have a reason to. I also like your post about Strange Tales. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's nice to hear someone is reading and enjoys the more artistic comics like these.
    Your blog, blood in the Gutters http://bloodinthegutter.wordpress.com/
    is also an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete