-

Monday, October 6, 2014

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers NSFW

The other big Underground Comix artist besides R. Crumb of the late 60's and early 70's was Gilbert Shelton, the creator of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers #2, 1972
In the late 60's the baby boomers were coming of age and they were bringing the comics that they loved with them. While the newspaper strips and comic books had been very tame, even inane at times, the Underground Comix creators took the same esthetic and reinvented them as hippies with their free love, drugs and rock and roll. Of all the Underground Comix artists, Gilbert Shelton has been the best at showing the hippie life style in all it’s depraved glory. The Underground Comix were risqué, ribald, raunchy, and anything but for the faint of heart, the perfect thing for the new hip, hippie generation.
In this episode of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers we get to see the kind of lifestyle they were living with plentiful drugs and rich party life.


In an interview Gilbert Shelton said, "I was more influenced by newspaper comics like Pogo Possum and Dick Tracy and Little Abner. I saw that these weekly, left wing newspapers were awfully dull and I thought, “What they need is comic strips.”

Here we can see his comic influences in the children who visit Fat Freddy Santa, characters like Charley Brown, Nancy, Dennis the Menace, and a student of Miss Peach.
Gilbert actually started his own publishing company, Rip Off Press with some friends of his. He talks about it in an interview, "I thought maybe I could get a job in San Francisco doing rock and roll posters like Wes Wilson, Victor Moscoso, Rick Griffin, and Alton Kelley, I thought I would go out for a couple a weeks and get a vacation from the Texas summer heat. I just stayed out there. It was fun at the time. Quickly I discovered that I wasn’t going to make it as a poster artist and so I started my own publishing company with some friends. We published posters for a while until we discovered that posters had to be nicely printed and none of us knew how to run the printing press very well. But comic books didn’t need to be well printed."

Rip Off Press founders Fred Todd, Gilbert Shelton, Jack Jackson, Jackson's girlfriend Beatrice Bonini, and Dave Moriarty

Check out a classic Freak Brothers comic from Rip Off Press ink, Underground Classics #1 (Freak Brothers #0), "Fat Freddy gets the Clap".




Gilbert Shelton's fabulous Furry Freak Brothers spoke to a generation of alienated youth who had 'dropped out' of mainstream American culture and were living in places like San Francisco’s Haight Ashbury smoking pot and dropping acid. He spoke for the hippie generation and inspired many generations to come.

If you liked this check out the Interview with Gilbert Shelton and Robert Crumb

In 2006, the company Grass Roots Films began production on a feature-length clay-animation film based on the series, called Grass Roots. In 2013 work on the film had stopped and conversion of the script to a musical had started.


 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these. They brought back a lot of memories. ROP needs to reprint all of the issues (please).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haily Bradwell
    Tue, 24 Aug, 06:27 (10 days ago)
    to me

    HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MONEY TO BINARY OPTION SCAM OR ANY ONLINE SCAM WHATSOEVER?.DO YOUR DESIRE CREDIT REPAIR[EQUIFAX, EXPERIAN, TRANSUNION? WELL, YOU HAVE FOUND REDEMPTION IN ASORE CORP.



    Asore Corp is a group of multinational Hacker's, an affiliate of Evil Corp. We make sure by all means necessary that our clients get the best of services on a🔐PAYMENT AFTER JOB IS DONE BASIS✅. Rather than send money and trust a criminal to fulfill your deal, you can make sure the job is done before WORKMANSHIP is paid for. You'll get excellent customer service.

    That's a 100% guarantee. Our Cyber security Technicians are on standby 24/7 to receive your job requests.



    ⚠️ BEWARE OF FRAUDSTARS looking to hoax.

    if you have been a VICTIM, contact : ✉️cyberprecinct@gmail.com for directives.

    Here, it's always a win for you.



    🔸OUR SERVICES🔸

    ➡️Binary Option funds recovery

    ➡️Social media hack

    ➡️Recovery of loan scam

    ➡️Credit repair (Equifax,Experian,Transunion)

    ➡️Email hack

    ➡️College score upgrade

    ➡️Android & iPhone Hack

    ➡️Website design

    ➡️Website hack

    And lots more.



    DISCLAIMER: Asore Cyber Corp accepts no responsibility for any information,previously given to anybody by clients on as regarding the job. Asore Cyber Corp will not distribute contact information collected on any hacking job other than in the Asore corps Hacker's listings themselves, and will not sell contact information to third parties.



    CONTACT INFO:

    📧 asorehackcorp@gmail.com

    cyberprecinct@gmail.com



    Copyright ©️

    Asore Cyber Corp 2021.

    All rights reserved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got diagnose of herpes virus last year, and i was taking some drugs prescribed for me by my family doc the drugs could not work and the herpes in my system was very terrifying that i was so depressed the good news is that i never gave up in searching for natural cure for herpes virus ,cause i believe so much in herbal medication.. One faithful morning i read a comment from a lady called Destiny Hudson on how she was cured with natural herbs made by DR.OYAGU from somewhere is West Africa, i immediately copied out his contact email via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and explain all my herpes problem to him via his email. the big truth is that it took just two week for his herbal medication to cure me completely without side affect. Till date am herpes virus free and all thanks to Dr OYAGU for his good deeds for me, Once again am very happy to share this great testimony of DR OYAGU cure hurry up now and contact him via his email address (oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com Call & WhatsApp him on (+2348101755322 ) and see what he can

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have time beating around the bush, instead I go straight to the point.... So to you doubters I ain't expecting you all to believe my testimony but only the few chosen ones by God. In a short summary, I'm here to tell the whole world that I recently got cured from my long term herpes disease, both the HSV1 and HSV2 through the assistance of Herbalist doctor Oyagu I pray God continually blesses Dr Oyagu in all he does, because he is indeed a very good, nice and powerful doctor. I’m cured of herpes disease at last! Wow I'm so much in great joy because I've never in my life believed herbs works, but meeting doctor Oyagu was an eye opener and he made me believe that herpes truly got a complete cure. I used the doctor's herbal medicine for just two weeks and I was totally cured from both my HSV1 and HSV2. I'm so excited. For help and assistance in getting rid of your herpes virus you can Call/WhatsApp doctor Oyagu on his telephone number: +2348101755322 or for more inquiries you can as well contact the doctor on EMAIL: oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, everyone! I am here to explore blogs and forums about the wonderful and most safe cure for (HPV). I was positive of the virus { HPV } and i lost hope because i was outcast and rejected even by my closet friends, i searched on-line to know and enquirer about cure for HPV and i read someone testimony on how he was cured from HPV so i decided to contact the same herbal center, Dr. Oriane because I know that nature has the power to heal everything. I emailed him to know how he can help me and he told me not to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after few email to him, I ask him to make the cure ready which he did when i send the require money to him, he sent to me the medicine which is the cure, when i received it i used the medicine as he instructed me and after few weeks of taking it i went to the hospital to have my blood test today i am free from the virus it's really like a dream but i am so happy! That is the reason why i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me, contact him today and have your problem solved email: droriane6@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp: +2349031652461

    ReplyDelete